People often differ on the pronunciation of this powerful superfood but the one thing that everyone will agree on is the incredible nutrition that this little seed (a relative of spinach) has to offer us.
It’s gluten-free and can be enjoyed in a number of different ways: raw and sprouted in salads and sandwiches, cooked as a grain alternative, in porridges and even ground down into a flour for baking.
Organic quinoa provides high quality protein and is a brilliant source of essential amino acids, including lysine and isoleucine. It also provides a variety of antioxidant phytonutrients, antioxidant flavonoids and important anti-inflammatory elements.
It’s also a good source of vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, dietary fiber, folate and zinc - brilliant for growing bodies! See our range of Quinoa products here including red, white and mixed seeds, plus quinoa wraps, crackers, cereals, pasta and more.
Here’s one of our family favourite superfood recipes using our Organic quinoa. It's perfect for Spring and Summer and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Organic Quinoa Greek Superfood Salad (serves 4-6)
- 1 cup uncooked organic quinoa
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 green capsicum, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced organic shallots
- 2 cups diced organic tomato
- 1/2 cup diced organic cucumber
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh organic mint
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh organic parsley
- 4 organic lemon wedges
- * optional* ½ cup crumbled organic feta cheese
- Cook the quinoa following the directions, without using any salt or oil.
- Once cooked, drain and place in a large bowl.
- Let cool thoroughly - for around 1 hour.
- Whilst the quinoa cools, combine oil, vinegar, onions, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and stir thoroughly with a whisk.
- Allow to stand for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of quinoa, pour over the dressing and toss gently. Serve with lemon wedges, leaves and a handful of crumbled feta cheese (optional).